1. Recycle Your Used ItemsRecycling your items and disposing of items that can not be recycled the right way can drastically help the environment and keep your water clean. Recycling keeps your items from reaching river other water sources. Even just throwing a cigarette in the trash vs. the ground can help a lot.
2. Minimize Your Chemical UseEliminating or minimizing as much as possible your use of harsh chemicals as much as possible is a great way to protect the global waters from chemicals. For example, fertilizers normally consist of phosphorous and nitrogen. If these chemicals reach the water, they can lead to a surge in algae growth, which can then lead t the killing of existing aquatic life.
3. Reduce Your Water Use When PossibleLower your water usage to as much as possible. Lowering it keeps water supplies cleaner by reducing chemicals used in treatment.
4. Dispose of Your Hazardous Materials CorrectlyProper Disposal of your chemicals, such as motor oil, paints or pharmaceuticals keeps them from entering your water source. Check with your local municipal center on where you can drop off materials such as these in your area.
5. Keep Runoff MinimalWhen water runs down a street it picks up toxins off the street and can eventually reach your waterways. To minimize this, you can sweep rather than hose down your driveway. When washing your car, try using a bucket rather than a hose. Even your choice in landscaping can help with the runoff. Having gravel over garden will help with the runoff.
6. Advocate for Clean WaterOnce you have learned how to keep your water clean, spread the word! Use your new found knowledge to teach others how to keep their water clean, possible through a community education program. Speak at chamber meetings or town meetings. Bring it up at the local PTA meeting. This affects everyone, so spreading the word can be essential because this is an issue that involves everyone.
7. Participate in Clean Up EffortsParticipate in town clean up to help remove the trash from the water. Better yet, you can even organize a church group or school clean up to help maximize your efforts.
In Need of Fresh, Clean Water in Your Home?
The quality of your home water can cause a variety of issues if you don’t have good, quality water. Culligan at the Lake of the Ozarks is happy to be able to provide good quality water services at the Lake of the Ozarks to you and your family. To contact us today, call 573-719-1314.