Hot Beverage Recipes to Keep You Warm During the Colder Months
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix
• 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
• 1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
• 2 cups Powdered Milk Or Instant Nonfat Dry Milk
In a large bowl, sift the confectioner’s sugar, then the unsweetened cocoa, to get rid of any lumps. Stir in the powdered milk, and whisk well until everything is combined. Add mini marshmallows to the container, if desired. This can be kept in the pantry for 6 months.
When you want to make hot cocoa, combine equal parts hot cocoa mix and hot water. I like to put the hot cocoa mix in the cup and add the hot liquid on top, and stir, in order to not get any lumps. Enjoy!
Note: As a guideline, ½ cup of cocoa mix and ½ cup hot water is the right amount for me to enjoy in one serving.
Spiced Pear Tea
• Makes: 8 servings
• Start to Finish 25 mins
• 1 orange
• 3 cups pear nectar
• 3 cups water
• 4 inches stick cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon whole cloves
• 6 regular-size tea bags
• 1/4 cup honey
• Small orange slices (optional)
• Cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Use a vegetable peeler to remove 3 wide strips of peel from the orange; set peel aside. Squeeze juice from orange.
2. In a large saucepan combine pear nectar, water, and orange juice. For the spice bag, place cinnamon, cloves, and the orange peel strips in the center of a 6-inch square of double-thick 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth. Bring corners together and tie with a clean string. Add bag to pear nectar mixture.
3. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add tea bags; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and spice bag and discard. Stir in honey. Serve in mugs. If desired, float orange slices on top of each serving and serve with cinnamon stick stirrers.